Barcode scanning eliminates human errors in patient identification at various points of care, offering greater accountability by matching patients, caregivers, and medications with permanent records for administration. Wristbands identify both in-house and temporary patients to eliminate errors, speed up treatments, lower costs, and guarantee patient safety.
Portable devices help print labels right at patients’ beds or examination tables to confirm identity and prevent errors in diagnoses, diets, and drug regimens. Healthcare providers enjoy the ability to scale systems to comply with new or existing healthcare regulations with a universal and cost-effective solution. Making mistakes in identifying people could endanger public safety, expose medical companies to liability claims, and cause insurance rates to skyrocket.
Advances in Medical Technology Increase Liability
Modern medical technology waves a double-edged sword, people live longer with better health, but testing and treatments offer greater opportunities for medical staff to make mistakes. Barcode scanning simplifies data collection, eliminates the need for patients to identify themselves repeatedly, and gives administrative billers and coders indisputable evidence of treatments.
Choosing the Best Positive Patient Identification Option
The Zebra Z-Band® wristbands, HC100 printers, and the Honeywell Xenon™ 1902 Scanner offer clear advantages over other systems. Simple cartridges load easily into the printers, and they produce MRI-safe, cost-effective wristbands automatically sized to infant, child, or adult wrists.
Some patients suffer severe injuries during MRI procedures because metallic components of laser toners react to the magnetic fields during scans. Portable wristband printers use thermal label-printing technology with no metallic elements, so patients can move efficiently from department to department.
Zebra Wristband Solution
The Zebra system meets all regulations to qualify for MRI-Safe certification. An independent testing company determined MRI safety according to ASTM guidelines. Zebra Z-Band wristbands resist soaps, water, alcohol, chemicals, and other solvents, and the durable bands have the industry’s only antimicrobial coatings. Other advantages include the following key benefits:
- The HC100 printer automatically sizes wristbands and adjusts graphics for optimal imaging quality.
- System advantages include eliminating costly toners, ribbons, and service troubleshooting to fix jammed laser printers.
- Positive identification eliminates errors through efficient barcode scanning, reducing unnecessary venipunctures, specimen-labeling errors, and superfluous paperwork.
- Real-time wireless connectivity speeds up many medical procedures.
- Zebra Z-Band wristbands close with either pull tabs or clip closures, making the process simple and efficient.
The Honeywell Scanner Assures Barcode Readability
The wireless technology used by Honeywell Xenon™ 1902 Scanner works with Bluetooth connectivity, so staff members can move effortlessly among patients without cables or wires. Some features of the Honeywell Xenon™ 1902 Scanner are:
- Improved scanning, through custom sensors, optimized for barcode scanning
- High-density, standard and extended-range focal options for higher productivity
- Images can be edited using the image processing software
- TotalFreedom® 2.0 platform for linking multiple applications, such as image processing, decoding and data formatting
- Remote MasterMind® scanner management software, allowing IT administrators to manage the scanners in the network from a single remote location
- Bluetooth Class 2, v2.1 radio, allowing a range of 33 feet (10 m) from the base, with reduced interference with other wireless systems
- Lithium-ion battery with 50,000 scans per full charge.
Hospitals, clinics, testing companies, blood banks, commercial plasma companies, and in-house drug-testing programs need reliable confirmation of patient identification for billing efficiency, liability protection, and correct patient treatment. Positive barcode id and barcode scanning eliminate errors, speeds up processing, and confirm the chain of treatment. The Zebra Z-Band system offers scalable advantages over laser printing and generic wristbands, cutting costs and maximizing efficiency.