Voice Automation for Data Collection
Using The Power Of Voice To Increase Productivity
Voice automation for data collection is a feasible solution that simplifies workflows and increases productivity for each worker using voice-enabled applications. Through voice technology, personnel can easily input data along with receiving additional audible directions while using their devices. Instead of manual inputs and cumbersome interactions with mobile devices, voice capabilities reduce the time spent on tasks by filling multiple input fields with one voice command. Furthermore, a comprehensive voice application has customizable languages and dialects that are tailored to your workforce. As a result, there is a faster learning curve for data collection processes that are voice-enabled along with a dramatic reduction in time spent on training.
Voice technology is incredibly useful for all types of industries, whether they be industrial or healthcare. However, the most common applications of voice technology have been seen in distribution centers and warehousing. The simplicity of voice-enabled devices allows supply chain workers to expedite the following processes while working hands-free and efficiently:
- Order picking
- Inventory Audits
Organizations also use voice technology effectively outside the four walls. Voice-enabled devices are beneficial for on-site response, maintenance and repair, assistance for field technicians, and yard management applications like coordinating shipments and schedules with employees.
Features of Voice Automation
RMS Omega recommends technology that includes these features:
- Integration with other data entry systems such as barcode scanning, keystrokes or touch screen
- Interface with hosted legacy applications
- Flexibility that allows one-on-one or one-to-group voice functionality, voice-to-text and text-to-voice
- Capacity to add voice function if there are existing terminal emulation apps
- Voice recognition robust enough to eliminate the need for individual voice profiles
- Rapid deployment and training
Different Ways to Implement Voice
Voice can be implemented through one of two ways, device-based or server-based solutions. Device-based solutions don’t require a server to voice-enable applications and they integrate with an organization’s existing WMS and devices. As a result, this method of voice-enabling is more affordable and offers a “plug-and-play” solution with faster ROI and a lower TCO.
Benefits of Using Your Voice
The benefits of installing voice technology will be apparent immediately, including:
- Reduced errors using voice-activated data entry instead of manual
- Increased safety as workers do not have to hold a device or keep looking up and down at a keypad or screen
- Streamlined workflow; e.g. being able to execute picking while listening to the order instead of waiting to read the screen, then putting down the mobile device in order to pick the item
- A decrease in network traffic as voice communication passes from one mobile device to another without going through the server
The specialists at RMS Omega can help you translate these benefits into increased productivity and profitability. When you are ready to take the next step, contact our team and we will work with you to identify your specific needs and recommend the voice technology that is most appropriate for your operations.