Terminal Emulation for Healthcare Technology
Terminal emulation (TE) software is increasingly essential in healthcare operations. Chances are that nearly every worker in your healthcare facility uses a mobile device for tracking people and inventory, ordering tests and treatments and for accessing medical information. This means your staff need access to a comprehensive database on a central computer.
There are several challenges to using smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices to access centralized files, including:
- Not everybody needs access to all the available information
- Busy network traffic in a large facility can slow down the information flow with back and forth transmission
- There is always a concern about compliance with the privacy and security regulations under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
Your IT staff are probably finding their workload increasing as they struggle to keep all the devices updated while ensuring the integrity of the data. No one wants to hear the words ‘lost’ or ‘corrupted’ about all the data that is not only confidential but can sometimes mean life or death for a patient.
Terminal Emulation Software as the Solution
There are many safeguards you can build into your system such as anti-virus software, passworded access, electronic signatures and encryption that address some of your concerns. However, TE software is a larger, more strategic solution. It extends all the functions of the host legacy system of your healthcare service through a web browser. There is no need to purchase, install and provide training for a completely new system.
More importantly, you know that any tool helping determine the quality of patient care is mission critical. That is where TE software shines, including functions for:
- Real time access to a patient’s medical history at point of care when decisions are being made
- Ordering, confirming and following the progress of tests and treatment procedures
- Entering results from both routine care and emergency interventions
- Ordering prescriptions both in-house and externally
Direct patient care needs to be supported by services such as cleaning, maintenance, repair and admin services. TE software can also accommodate:
- Tracking location and level of consumable inventory, setting up reorder alerts
- Facilitating insurance claims
- Providing info on staff scheduling and up to date changes
- Providing information on new procedures or other topics that can be reviewed in a teaching session
Any information that is available on the host computer can be accessed on the emulator screens scattered all around the facility. The most efficient TE software ensures that transactions are done on the host computer without tying up the network traffic.
RMS Omega specialists are available to help you identify the particular needs of your healthcare operations and to discuss the pros and cons of various TE options offered by trusted partners. Learn more about several recommended products below