Mobile Phlebotomy Solutions
RMS Omega understands the two primary reasons for considering mobile point-of-care technology for the phlebotomy services in your healthcare facility:
- Patient safety
- Efficient workflow
Barcode technology, handheld computers and wireless printers eliminate any guesswork in the phlebotomists’ job. These professionals have enough to do at the bedside or other patient location without worrying about their technology.
RMS Omega’s team of specialists offers a full-service solution by:
- Consulting with your staff to identify all steps in the phlebotomy process
- Recommending a technology solution including hardware, software and essential supplies
- Coordinating the installation of the system
- Training employees, as necessary
- Providing ongoing maintenance and technical support
At RMS Omega, we understand that your main concern is always for patient safety when collecting a specimen. We can provide solutions that make it easy for the phlebotomist to:
- Accurately identify the patient by scanning a barcoded wristband
- Follow a Positive Patient ID process with secondary identification
- Collect specimens according to the order showing on the screen of the mobile computer, including directions about the vial color and any special cautions for handling
- Generate specimen labels on a portable barcode label printer at point-of-care
- Scan both specimen labels and wristband again to confirm a match
As a healthcare administrator, you are also monitoring the efficiency of the process. RMS Omega understands that a phlebotomist needs mobile technology that will:
- Provide immediate access to information such as the requesting physician, special instructions and order updates, eliminating extra phone calls or desk work
- Reduce paperwork for orders and lab processing
- Record blood draws in real time so complete, accurate info is immediately available to other clinicians
- Show new or emergency orders as they are generated
- Integrate all information with the laboratory information system, eliminating extra data entry
The integral efficiency of the technology increases phlebotomists’ productivity as they make the rounds of patients. Such an efficient workflow is also cost effective, reducing the time and supplies needed by each phlebotomist as he or she makes their rounds.
Working with our partners, RMS Omega specialists can put together a customized package of software, hardware and support services for your phlebotomist on the move.
An end-to-end, efficient, cost effective mobile phlebotomy solution could include the following:
- Barcode software ensures patient identification and accurate labeling of specimens while streamlining the workflow of the phlebotomists and other healthcare staff. The bonus feature is a tight integration with your laboratory information system so specimen processing is quick and accurate.
- A rugged handheld computer that has the capacity to allow your healthcare staff to access patient records, accurately administer medication, monitor patient vital signs, place lab and pharmacy orders and view test results from anywhere in the facility.
- A mobile label printer that is super easy for your phlebotomists to use to print specimen labels right at the patient point-of-care. The ideal printer is rugged and lightweight, able to provide direct thermal printing of the narrow 2” labels to attach to vials for the laboratory. Such a printer works well for:
- Specimen labels at point of collection
- Barcoded labels for patient charts to ensure accurate information
- Pharmacy barcoded labels with patient information, minimizing risk of wrongly filled prescriptions
- Direct thermal or thermal transfer labels, depending on what’s best for the printer
- Equipment caddies that allows your phlebotomists to carry all their equipment and supplies safely. RMS Omega has designed a lightweight, compact model with room for a mobile computer and printer, a tube rack for specimens and more space for other tools and supplies. The Mobile Lab Tote is also available as a cart system, offering the phlebotomist a stable and accessible unit that glides through patient’s rooms effortlessly.
Even though there are standard procedures for a phlebotomist to follow, each healthcare service is somewhat unique. At RMS Omega, we are ready to consult with you about your particular processes and needs. Then, we work with our partners to design the ideal mobile phlebotomy solution for your facility so you may continue to provide excellent service.
The RMS Omega Solution
Our total solutions are comprised of hardware, printers, media, software and services. Deciding which of the components works best for your operation and environment may require the assistance of our Solutions Consultants. Contact us and together we’ll assure your organization a successful barcoding / RFID project. Below are some recommended components for a complete mobile specimen collection solution.