Positive Patient Identification
Healthcare administrators everywhere understand that positive patient identification (patient wristband with barcode) is absolutely essential for safe patient care. Whether you operate an ambulatory clinic, a primary care hospital or a nursing home, you are always searching for ways to eliminate medical errors, many of which happen because the service is being delivered to the wrong patient. At RMS Omega, we can help you identify your needs and the best solutions available.
Challenges in Providing Patient Care
Your top concerns as a healthcare administrator are probably two sides of the same issue:
- Patient safety. You want to make sure all your patients receive appropriate, timely care, from testing and treatment to administering medication and providing nutritious meals.
- Organizational liability. The less commitment to patient safety, the more opportunity for your organization to be held liable for damages. Such situations can result in a damaged reputation, a charge of noncompliance and increased insurance rates.
You have implemented safety policies and procedures for patient care. Your staff are well trained in the five patient rights of medication administration: right patient, right drug, right dose, right route and right time. However, this is not enough.
Your staff also need the most efficient tools possible to make sure they are correctly identifying patients.
Solutions for Positive Patient Identification
Barcode and RFID technology can give you and your staff confidence that each patient is receiving the right care from admission to discharge. The key components of this solution are:
- Patient wristband with barcode with demographic information and pertinent medical history
- Wristband printer used at admission to produce high quality barcoded wristbands in varying sizes
- Scanner used to capture the barcodes and transmit info to computer for processing the data
Contact our team of healthcare specialists, we can work with you to develop an excellent patient identification system using state of the art products from trusted partners.
Using RFID for Patient Identification
Instead of using barcodes alone, RFID technology can provide faster and more convenient patient identification. When using an RFID wristband and corresponding reader, nurses can quickly scan and identify a patient without adjusting or disturbing them regardless of their position or orientation since there is no line of sight required. The potential to get the scanner’s beam in a patient’s eyes is also eliminated.
The RMS Omega Solution
Our total solutions are comprised of hardware, printers, media, software and services. Deciding which of the components works best for your operation and environment may require the assistance of our Solutions Consultants. Contact us and together we’ll assure your organization a successful barcoding / RFID project. Below are some recommended components for positive patient ID.