Quality, Durable Results
Whenever you print using a thermal transfer printer, you will also need ribbons. You can use thermal transfer printers to print both RFID and barcode data. You need to use ribbons with thermal transfer printing because the printer applies heat directly to the surface of the chemically coated surface of the label, which produces text, image, barcode, or whatever you’re printing. In the thermal transfer process, a durable polyester ribbon coated with dry thermal transfer ink is placed between the printer head and the label. The ink is then melted onto the surface of the label when it adheres as it cools. Lastly, the ribbon is peeled away, leaving a stable, passive image.
Ribbons produce sharp text and barcodes on a broad range of materials (both paper and films) with excellent durability. When paired with the right labels and tags, our manufacturers engineered ribbons to provide optimum performance.
Companies use thermal transfer solutions and ribbons in a variety of industries and applications.
Benefits of using Thermal Transfer Ribbons
Many companies find benefits to using thermal transfer printing solutions. Some of these benefits include:
- Outstanding performance on coated stock.
- Formulated backcoat that protects the printhead.
- High print speeds.
- Excellent durability that stands up to rough handling, abrasion, or moderate solvents.
- Can also withstand outdoor elements.
Types of Thermal Transfer Ribbons
There are three main types of thermal transfer ribbons including:
- Wax ribbons for standard printing on paper materials.
- Wax/resin ribbons for excellent resistance to chemicals on paper and synthetics.
- Resin ribbons that provide ultimate durability against chemicals and heat on synthetics.
Companies most commonly use wax ribbons since they are mostly targeted to print paper labels and tags. Some companies even use wax ribbons to print on film labels and tags in some applications.
Since there are many thermal transfer ribbons to choose from, RFID Pros is here to help.